Unlike many other burner events, ART BAER’s biggest focus is on art! (Who would ever have guessed?)
That’s why a comparatively large portion of our budget goes towards art support. We are especially happy about all participants who bring art or participate in art projects or artsy decoration. Whether visual art, installations, action art, music, theater, puppetry, film, literature, design or any other creative project – everything is welcome at ART BAER!
Quick Information about Art & Art Grants
- direct contact for artists: firstname.lastname@example.org
- link to apply for an art grant
- deadline to apply for an art grant: 03.07.2022 (round 2 possible afterwards)
- online sheet to register art & installations
- deadline for art registration: ??
- Please communicate all infrastructure your artwork may need upon registration.
- timetable for performing arts & open stage – link?
- Please remember to leave no trace.
Registration of artworks & art funding
The ART BAER’s art funding program covers primarily expenses (materials) for artistic projects such as artworks and installations or to provide infrastructure for the presentation. Just imagine a former monastery site with large-scale projections, installations in open spaces and smaller objects that invite for personal interaction. And you and your art are right in the center of it!
Since space and budget are not infi nite, we ask you to register your art in advance if possible. There are two options for this:
- Registration of self-financed artwork via ART BAER Registration for artworks & installations. Please let us know if you need special infrastructure (electricity, a place to hang pictures, possibility to affix heavy objects, projection surfaces etc.).
- Apply for funding for an art piece / project at ART BEAR 2022 if you are in need for financial support for e.g. material. Please note that we can only fund materials (no transportation costs or allowances). Please keep ALL receipts and invoices for which you would like to apply for reimbursement (there will be NO reimbursement without an original receipt). Receipts must be submitted according to the schedule provided by the Arts Grants Team. The deadline for applications is July, 3rd 2022, and if there is still budget available, there will be a second, final round of funding. Our arts team will contact you to further discuss any other details.
Performing Arts, Action Art & Cabaret
Of course, we also welcoming performing arts such as theatre, fi lm, music & song, puppetry, magic, juggling, recitation of literature & poetry, action art, dress-up art and so on! If you also need consumables for your performance, you can also apply for art funding. Performing arts or action art can (and will) happen spontaneously throughout the event. In addition, we are planning on ??? Friday/Sunday, 22/23.07.2022 for an open stage or cabaret, where you can try yourself out on stage. You are welcome to connect with other participants in advance via Facebook or Discord (preferred). Further information on the cabaret can be found here.
Fire and flow art
On Saturday, July, 23rd 2022, the traditional fire will take place with the symbolic burning of a figure (effigy). Fire and flow artists (poi, fans, dragonstaff, fire hoop etc.) are cordially invited to actively participate in the program. Simply bring to ART BAER what you need to perform and coordinate with other performers before the ceremony!
Art at the ART BAER – A very special experience!
Events held in the spirit of Burning Man are characterized by a particularly free and welcoming atmosphere in which artists can easily try out, present, evolve and connect. Within ART BAER, we explicitly want to offer a platform to promote all these developments! That’s why we are happy to welcome anyone who brings art with them – no matter how crazy, experimental or non-conformist.
Art and the principles of Burning Man
At this point, as an inspiration and a hint, we would like to mention some of the ten principles that apply to art in particular. A detailed list of all principles can be found here.
- Radical Self-expression: Radical self-expression arises from the unique gifts of the individual. No one other than the individual or a collaborating group can determine its content. It is offered as a gift to others. In this spirit, the giver should respect the rights and liberties of the recipient.
- Communal Effort: Our community values creative cooperation and collaboration. We strive to produce, promote and protect social networks, public spaces, works of art, and methods of communication that support such interaction.
- Leaving No Trace: Our community respects the environment. We are committed to leaving no physical trace of our activities wherever we gather. We clean up after ourselves and endeavor, whenever possible, to leave such places in a better state than when we found them.
- Participation: Our community is committed to a radically participatory ethic. We believe that transformative change, whether in the individual or in society, can occur only through the medium of deeply personal participation. We achieve being through doing. Everyone is invited to work. Everyone is invited to play. We make the world real through actions that open the heart.
- Immediacy: Immediate experience is, in many ways, the most important touchstone of value in our culture. We seek to overcome barriers that stand between us and a recognition of our inner selves, the reality of those around us, participation in society, and contact with a natural world exceeding human powers. No idea can substitute for this experience.
With this mindset, we would like to encourage artists at ART BEAR to try out new paths, to challenge themselves artistically and to break the traditional separation between artist and recipient – to enable an immersive, interactive, immediate and open experience of art.